Our Saviour Lutheran Church found its beginning on March 16th, 1945, by the Voters Assembly at Trinity Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Des Moines, Iowa. The Voters Assembly appointed a commitee to study a need for a new mission. A favorable canvass was obtained and candidate William Henline came to Des Moines in September, 1945 as a missionary-at-large.
The District of Directors purchased 3 lots and 2 houses at 2nd Ave. and Madison St. for $8,500. Two chicken brooder houses were purchased from Wards for $594.66. Mr. George Spooner donated conversion plans for a chapel, and Mr. William Behm was hired as contractor/builder for $150.
In December, 1945 ground was broken at 2nd Ave. and Madison St. Congregations from Dexter and Van Meter came to help the members of Trinity lay the floor, carpenters were hired for finish carpentry, and many others helped paint. The chicken brooder houses became a lovely church chapel. The chapel was dedicated on April 28th, 1946 to God's service.
Our Saviour Lutheran Church was formally organized on December 15th, 1946 with 30 communicant members and 6 voters. As of January 31st, 2013, Our Saviour Lutheran consisted of 200 baptized members.
The vision of the future of Our Saviour Lutheran is brightly shining with the love of God shown through Christ Jesus, Our Lord. We are pleased to welcome all visitors to share with us in the gifts our Lord has given us. It is our mission and goal to help share the good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ with the world.
We hope that you can come worship with us here at Our Saviour Lutheran!
Learn about our Staff